As a co-operative, Franklin Community Co-op is part of an international movement that seeks to meet people’s needs through jointly owned and democratically-controlled enterprise. While there are different types of co-ops, we are all guided by the Co-operative Identity, including the principle of “co-operation among co-operatives.”
Red kuri squash from Deep Root Organic Co-op in Vermont
Our Co-op Suppliers
Some examples of the worker co-ops, farmer co-ops and purchasing co-ops that we buy from:
- Avarado St. Bakery is a worker co-op bakery in California that supplies the co-op with frozen sprouted bagels.
- Blue Diamond Growers is a co-op of almond growers in California providing the co-op with almond milk, almond crackers and almond butter.
- Cabot Creamery Co-op in Cabot, Vermont, is a co-op of dairy farmers that supplies us with cheese and butter.
- Caseificio Santa Rita is a farmer co-op in Italy that makes organic parmigiano-reggiano cheese.
- Co-op 108 in nearby Haydenville, Massachusetts, is a worker co-op that makes handcrafted body care items.
- Deep Root Organic Co-op in Johnson, Vermont is one of our organic produce suppliers.
- Equal Exchange is a worker-owned co-op in West Bridgewater, Massachusetts, that supplies us with Fairly Traded coffee, tea, chocolate, cocoa and snacks from small farmer co-ops around the world.
- Frontier Co-op in Iowa suplies us with bulk spices, tea and flavor extracts.
- Mt Sterling Co-op Creamery is a co-op of goat farmers Wisconsin producing goat milk cheese.
- Organic Valley in LaFarge, Wisconsin is a co-op of family dairy farmers and is the largest organic milk producer in the country. We offer their organic milk, cream, butter, orange juice and soymilk. Some Organic Valley dairy farmers are in our region, the milk we have is regionally pooled, so it is local too!
- Farmer co-op Our Family Farms based in Greenfield, MA supplies us with mllk.
- Pachamama Coffee Co-op in Davis, California is a co-op of coffee farmers in Latin America that supply organic Fair Trade coffee.
- Pantaleo provides us with aged goat cheese from Italy.
- Pioneer Valley Growers Association in western Massachusetts provides us with organic produce.
There are also co-ops that provide us with services:
- Collective Copies is a worker co-op copy shop that does many of our printing projects. They have locations in Amherst and Florence, Massachusetts.
- Pioneer Valley PhotoVoltaics (PV2) in Greenfield, Massachusetts, is a worker co-op that installed the solar array on the roof of Green Fields Market.
Shelburne Falls Artist Cooperative is a gallery of fine arts and crafts, owned and operated by regional artists. We purchase gifts for staff years-of-service recognition.
- Valley Green Feast is a local foods delivery service collective. They also do deliveries of other products. We use VGF when we need items delivered from Collective Copies and occationally for other items.